Orthopedics Community
Ankle

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Ankle

Hello I was in military training almost exactly four years ago when, at the time I was 125 lbs carrying 40lbs of gear when I flew off the bus and landed on my ankle.  The military doctors were awful.  I was on crutches for a long time.  I went to the hospital once because my legs swelled four times their normal size.  They said it was do to the crutches but I had been off them.... then they said it was my ankle brace, then they said it was due to not enough water.  Well, eventually they said my flat feet were causing my ankle not to heal.  I eventually was medically discharged but I am still having severe problems.  I have fibromyalgia and have a lot of pain due to that.  But I have pain that radiates from that ankle up my shins.  I have a lot of edema in that leg sometimes as well.  I don't have insurance because my insurance company said my fibromyalgia is pre-existing.  Can anyone tell me what may be the cause of this pain?
There are many reasons that might be the cause of the pain. Unfortunately, like the back, ankles are notorious for causing permanent problems when they are injured. They are a very complicated joint, with a lot of soft tissue interdependent on each other.
Generally, the long term injuries are from soft tissue damage that is not rehabbed correctly, or effectively.
Also, be careful of using too many NSAIDS for pain. They can actually increase a weak or damaged tendon or ligaments chance of tearing.
The long term solution is to strengthen and stabilize the ankle.
Start with toe raises and one leg balancing. Progress to mini-trampoline one leg balance.
Go to your nearest Orthopedic specialist or rehab facility. They would be happy to give you, for free, a list of exercises for your ankles.