Orthopedics Community
Are ganglion cyst dangerous if not treated/monitored by a doctor?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

I have developed what I believe to be a ganglion cyst near my wrist. It is the size of about a dime, it is hard but not painful. What can I do to have it go away, I'm worried it might get bigger or develop into something more serious? please help. Is there anything I can do to prevent it from getting bigger or anything I can do to make it go away on its own? Is medical help required for something like this?
Hi, I just wanted to say that I am no doctor but I did have a ganglion cyst removed. First they tried to drain it, that didn't work, then they tried cortisone injection, my hand blew up 3x's it normal size,(allergic reaction) so I actually went to another doctor and had them remove it. That was on my left wrist.  It is definately something you want removed I wouldn't suggest letting it stay in there for ever because it might get bigger and may cause more problems.
When I had mine removed I was in a cast for about a month.
I think if you were to keep it in that you might have some problems.
So I would go see an orthopedic surgeon Hand specialist and get it looked at.
Good luck to you
good morning Eve, i've also had a ganglion cyst on the ulnar side of my wrist, it started wrapping it self around the nerve and causing a tingling in my ring and pinky fingers if i pushed on it. my last hand doctor removed it while doing other work in the wrist.  if you go to youtube and type in ganglion cyst there's even a video, and google it and click on pics. there's a world of answers out there.  good luck   Phill