Orthopedics Community
Assymetrical rib cag, pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Assymetrical rib cag, pain

I've called several Orthopedic Clinics in my area and they have all told me that ribs are not part of their specialty. I can accept that, but I don't know where else to go. I noticed the ribs were assymetrical about 7 or 8 years ago, while I was in college. It didn't hurt too much, but I went to the free clinic on the campus to ask about it any way. The doctor told me to take ibuprofen if it bothered me and, in so many words, to stop wasting her time. I felt sorry for bothering her and left.

Now, it REALLY hurts. The left side of my rib cage juts out in the front, but the right side has grown inward, creating a little visible concave dip. That's where it hurts the most, especially if I sit down for more than half an hour. I need to sit because I work in an office. I do a lot of typing. I'm trying to get accommodations so that I can stand and type, but it still hurts when I'm driving, trying to relax in a chair, lying on my side, or just whenever.

I've been to my General Practitioner/Primary Care provider three times for this already. The first time I went, he ordered an ultrasound of the organs behind my ribs. I went in to see him again, because he didn't address my pain. This time he prescribed Celebrex. I learned that afternoon that there is no generic for Celebrex and it costs over $200. So, I went back to see him and he prescribed Mobic and tested me for Hepatitis. I'm still not clear on his reason for that last part, but hey, I'm no doctor.

I've been on Mobic for a month now and I don't feel any better. I don't know where else to go if this isn't an orthopedic issue. It's amazing how this man can just throw pills at me without helping me understand my diagnosis. I'm not even sure what the diagnosis is. I ask him and he mumbles about how it's "something to do with" the different kinds of muscles around the ribs. Oh my! Stand back everybody! This guy is using science!

Can someone here offer me some answers? What's wrong with my body?
Tags: ribs, rib pain, Chronic Pain, Pain, assymetrical rib cage, assymetrical ribs
Hi there!

Well, without a detailed clinical evaluation it would be difficult to comment specifically on the situation or determine the cause of your symptoms. Possibilities that may need to be considered include chest wall inflammation, costochondritis, neuro-muscular causes such as nerve impingement, neuropathies, connective tissue disorders, micronutrient deficiencies, referred pain from other regions such as the respiratory/ GI tract etc. I would suggest getting this evaluated by an internist initially and depending on the cause diagnosed/ suspected, it can be managed accordingly or specialist care may be sought.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!