Attention all with mild spastic diplegic CP!!!
Hi all,

Okay, so, long story short: I have a very mild form of spastic diplegic CP. All total, I've had 8 orthopedic surgeries. I'm currently 22. I just had arthroscopic knee surgery last week, and that should be it for me in terms of operations.

I honestly don't notice anything in relation to my condition. I know I have tight muscles, but they don't feel tight to me. The only time they feel tight is around the time of monthly menstruation (sorry for TMI). I do have some pain if I walk for extended distances right now, but that's been rapidly improving with my last few surgeries; I have some ankle tendonitis that's being greatly improved via surgery and PRP injections. I am a little bit unbalanced, but that will improve once I'm able to re-strengthen my glutes and calve muscles, get back to (Bikram) yoga, and I'm able to get back into rowing/cycling (I currently can't due to my recent knee surgery). Other than that, I don't notice anything -- no limp, even. No one I know even has a clue that I have this, unless I tell them.

So, given that, will I have trouble walking when I'm older? Like I said, sometimes I get fatigued after long walks, etc., but that's been with less-than-optimal strength in key muscles. I just want to be able to walk without assistive devices. As long as I stay healthy and continually stretch, strengthen, participate in yoga, and the like, will I be okay? I always hear these horror stories online of people that "didn't notice any symptoms" of mild spastic diplegia when they were younger and they couldn't walk by the time they were 40. I've also read of people that have shortened lifespans as a result of spastic diplegia, which I don't necessarily see as being a problem for me because my case is very mild. Obviously, I realize I won't be running a marathon in my lifetime; I'm just looking for "normal" functionality in terms of ambulating well. My pediatric surgeon was big into the scare tactics when I was younger, but I also don't want to overly concern myself, either. I know I'll continue to take excellent care of myself and I'll perform any necessary stretches, etc., to keep myself limber.

Anyone that's experienced this (or is experiencing this), I'd love to hear from you!! Thanks!
Hi there!

CP by definition is non-progressive and if it is mild in your case, it is likely to remain mild throughout life. Physical exercise and physiotherapy may be useful in improving muscle strength and movement. If there is progression with symptoms, causes other than CP would need to be evaluated for.
Hope the information is helpful.

Take care!