Orthopedics Community
Avulsion Fracture of Pip joint on middle finger

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

I was diagnosed with an avulsion fracture of the PIP joint on the middle finger (less than 30%) with a lot of bruising.  After 2.5 weeks of straight buddy splinting to the ring finger I was advised by my family physician to remove the splint and move the finger.  It is very stiff and the joint swelling has not subsided.  The joint seems to swell more with movement and turns red.  The finger is straight.  How long does the swelling and redness remain?  I am wondering if I should see an orthopedic specialist.
Avatar dr m tn
Go for an X-ray and if your fracture has healed, the time has come for physiotherapy. Being in splint for so many days your finger has grown stiff. With physiotherapy it will be fine. Take care!