Orthopedics Community
BONE ISLAND

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

BONE ISLAND

I HAVE HAD SOME DISCOMFORT IN MY GROIN AREA FOR A NUMBER OF MONTHS, SO I HAD A HERNIA GRAM , WHICH SHOWED NO SIGNS OF A HERNIA. I THEN HAD AN MRI SCAN, WHICH SHOWED THAT I HAVE BONE ISLAND. I HAVE BEEN LOOKING ON THE NET FOR INFORMATION AND HOPE THAT YOU MAY BE ABLE TO HELP. WILL I NEED AN OPERATION OR WILL PHYSIO HELP?
In brief about bone island.
A bone island, also known as an enostosis, is a focus of compact bone located in cancellous bone. This is a benign entity that is usually found incidentally on imaging studies; however, the bone island may mimic a more sinister process, such as an osteoblastic metastasis (eg, from prostate cancer).

Bone islands can be found in any osseous site; however, they are most commonly identified in the pelvis, long bones, ribs, and spine.

Hence conservative management is ideally followed.
if the bone island is unusually large, shows rapid growth, demonstrates increased scintigraphic activity, or is found in a symptomatic patient or a patient with a history of malignancy that could produce osteoblastic metastases, follow-up and/or biopsy may be indicated.
Thank you for your information, hopefully it is benign , but i was wondering what treatment is taken to reduce the discomfort in my groin?
You will have to sit and talk to your orthopedician about this  problem and to question about the rehabilitation protocol
You would require to have physiotherapy on regular basis.
Thank you once again for your help, i have an appointment to see an orthopedician , but unfortunately ,it is not until 2nd week in January , it is good to know that the discomfort that i get at the moment should improvet with  physiotherapy treatment , .
As you have an appointment not earlier than second week of January, you can have physiotherapy sessions. The physiotherapy is usually found to provide some improvement.
Do you think that many physiotherapists would know what Bone islands were? and if they did what treatment to offer?
I thought that maybe it would be the orthopedician who would prescribe the treatment? or maybe not?
I have had minor pain for years in my right hip. I can remember it back to late highschool days and all through college until this day. I finally got some results from the doctor whom said it was this bone island deal. I hope there is a way to stop the discomfort that I have undergone all these years! Whay can they do? Has anyone had success on treatment?
Have you had any relief to date? I have been put on methylprednisolone 4mg and will post how this works for the pain. I also had an MRI which showed a bone Island by the rib area. My pain comes and goes.  
Hi!  I just recently had a series of chest x-rays. the 1st one showed some densities that required another view, the apico-lordotic view. The result of the 2nd x-ray showed there was a nodule, suggestive of PTB.  I told the doctor that I have a bone island on the same rib that always shows every time I undergo x-ray.  My doctor said it was different this time.  It looks like a solitary nodule that covers the rib and protrudes out to the lung area that is seen as a lung nodule.  A CT scan was suggested.  I am now in agony to receive the results tomorrow.  I would like to ask you if you can give me the possible outcome of the CT scan. Could it be a PTB or a PTB scar? But I don't have any symptom of a PTB. I don't smoke and drink alcohol. I'm hoping it's just the bone island that grew bigger or an osteophyte.

Thanks a lot.

Rose
anyone been treated for a bone island? Result?  13 yrs of severe femur pain from a bone island, no ortho so far has offered any help or suggestions other than heavy pain meds. Please anyone......
Hi there. I also experienced the same-I recently underwent CXR and there was an impression stating  ovoid opacities findings on my ribs are described most probably as bone island. I am really nervous as of now and anxious to visit a Pulmo or Ortho tom. May I know ways from your experience to prevent worsening of my current condition. . . Your piece of advice would be greatly appreciated. .

Thanx a lot.

John
hi! just got my xray result and it says that:  IT SHOWS A NODULAR DENSITY IN THE RIGHT INFRACLAVICULAR REGION WHICH IS PERSISTENTLY SUPERIMPOSED ON THE 2ND ANTERIOR RIB AND MOST LIKELY A BONE ISLAND.  

Impression: No significant chest findings.

what this reading means? i am alarmed should i seek doctor's help for this? hope you can help me for seeing the doctor is one i dreaded the most...

thank you very much!

Mari