Back pain- Please help!
Hello! I have been dancing since I was 3 and I am know 16. I took the past year off, but I have auditions for an advanced class this week so I have been perparing an hour or so each day to get my skill level back. I assume I did something funky because I have excruciating back pain on the lower left side near my hip that began half way through a practice session. I know cannot do a ballet turn because my balance is so thrown off and crooked (not to mention the terrible pain that I get). It's worse when I put weight on my left leg and when I am lying down (on my back and either side). The worse pain, however, came when I was trying to stretch it to make it feel better and I laid down on my stomach and arched my back up... I couldn't even make in an inch without feeling awful (and I have an extremely high pain tolerance!) Please tell me what I should do- ice it, heat pad, etc. Am I going to be okay to audition and do hard dance moves 24 hours after the original injury (the auditions are tomorrow...). Should I visit a doctor? Please respond!
Hi there!

Well, without a clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your backache. Possibilities that may need to be considered include postural issues, spinal causes such as injuries/ degeneration, neuro-muscular causes, referred pain from other regions such as kidneys etc. I would suggest getting this evaluated by a primary care physician or an orthopedician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!