Orthopedics Community
Back pain surgical options

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Back pain surgical options

In october of 2006 I slipped and fell and hurt my lower back as well as breaking my right fibila and tibia.I have had lower back pain which radiates across both of my hips and down both legs to my knees.The EMG in feb 2009 showed evidence for bilateral L4 radiculopathy.In march 09 I had a discogram,L3/4 showed disc difficult to pressurize and abnormal morphology,lateral and posterior extravasation.The pain was in lower back and down left lower extremity.The L4/5 showed abnormal morphalogy,pain in lower back and down lower extremity.The L5/S1 showed difficult to pressurize,the pain was in lower back and down both legs bilaterally.Cat scan done in March 09 L3/4 showed slight broad based disc bulge that contacts the thecal sac. L 4/5 slight loss of height and mild bilateral neural foraminal stenosis,worse on the left than the right.L 5/1 showed a broad basrd bulge and contacts the thecal sac and mild right sideneural foraminal stenosis.I have had epidurals,facet blocks,trigger point and injections intoo the SI joints and nothing has helped.I was told by a neurosurgeon that surgery wasnt necessary but my pain managment doctor said a plasma disc decompression might help or a fusion at 4/5 and 5/1.I was wondering about a laminectomy to widen the nerve canal or if you can suggest something else?Please give me some advice,I have been in pain to long and have been unable to stand,sit or walk for any long period of time and I am unable to work. Thank you