Orthopedics Community
Baker's Cyst - Can you have one without being able to see it from ...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Baker's Cyst - Can you have one without being able to see it from the outside?

For 2 months, I've had terrible pain behind my knee, especially when I bend it.  My doctor has ordered an ultrasound to check for a Baker's Cyst - but no cyst is visible to the naked eye, nor can one be felt.  Is it still possible that a cyst exists?  
Hello.

Baker's cyst is a synovial sack enlarges to form a cyst. This may not be large enough to produce a visible bulge. Hence, in the beginning, the cyst my not be visible from outside.

Regards
Thank you so much for you quick response.  I really appreciate it. :)
is a 5.6 cyst on the knee considered to be large
Baker's Cyst are visible on MRI's has your doctor ordered one?
I had a baker's cyst several years ago and was given muscle relaxants and some pain meds. It resolved itself in a month.
  Last April I went to a clinic with similar pain and without even examining me, he said it was a Baker's cyst again. He gave me 60 Vicodan pills and sai when they were gone, my cyst would be too.
  I suffered for a month and the pain got worse, so I went to an orthopedic doctor and tests showed the bone in that knee had died, and I needed knee surgery to replace the bone with a space age material.
  So make sure the diagnosis is correct  or you may waste time and suffer a lot more pain needlessly like I did.
Is it normal for a bakers cyst to change size, and/or to have a feeling of more pressure on it?