Orthopedics Community
Bakers Cyst

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Bakers Cyst

Hi all.

Last year around this time I injured my knee playing soccer. After going through the process, it turned out I had a lateral meniscus tear as well as a pretty serious MCL tear in my right knee. Surgery was performed on the meniscus (menisectomy ) and after around 3-4 months of intense physical therapy, both my MCL and meniscus were healed. I slowly made it back into 100% shape and managed to play acouple games before the end of last season. Although I still wasnt 100% psychologically there, my knee felt great.

Over the summer I continued playing and feeling more comfortable. The season has started and everything is totally fine. However, last weekend I fell a bit awkwardly after I was tackled. I did not feel really any sort of pain or discomfort and played the rest of the match. I went home and after acouple of hours I felt a bit of discomfort but nothing serious. The next morning I woke up to find some swelling in the back of my knee. Acouple days later and the swelling/lump is still there with little to no pain.

Although I am not a DR.  I realize it is most likely a Bakers Cyst. I have absolutely no problem walking, I even went to training during the week and worked at 100% and felt no pain during or afterward. The bump/swelling is still there and is a bit tender to the touch but does not restrict my movement really in any way.

My questions is this. If it is in fact a Baker Cyst, is it possible that it was caused by simply aggravating my old injury, or does it mean that I most likely re-tore my meniscus?? I am scheduled in for the orthopedist but not until next week so I am getting a bit anxious. Any information or suggestions are greatly appreciated, thanks for taking the time!