Orthopedics Community
Banged Knee that locks up :-(

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Banged Knee that locks up :-(

A few days ago i banged my knee really hard on something. I remember I was in alot of pain at the moment and it felt like somthing happened to my knee bone. After that my knee was fine and i thought nothing of it. But now, for the last few nights and mornings, i have been waking up with my knee closed and in a lot of pain. I try to open my knee and i guess unlock it but it feels like im going to break it or it will pop if i do that. So i have to sit there and wait for it to losen up, get in the right position, and straighten out my knee. I am going to my dr this week but in the mean time, any idea of what this could be? Also, is there anyway to unlock it without it hurting so bad and feeling so uncomfortable? I wish there was something i could do for it at home but i dont know what. I am 31 y.o female. Any help or information would be really great.Thank you for your time.
Hi!
I am sorry to hear about your medical problems. The various causes of knee locking are torn medial meniscus, mis-aligned knee cap, osteoarthritis, knee arthritis, torn lateral meniscus, osteochondritis dissecans, recurrent patella dislocation, chondromalacia patella, knee alignment problem, knee fragment  or knee cartilage disorder. True knee locking is caused by either a torn piece of cartilage, or a loose bone fragment due to a bone disorder called osteochondritis dissecans.  Sometimes misalignment of the bones and muscles around the knee cause this obstruction. True locking is fairly rare. A person can experience an inability to move the knee after an injury which feels like a locking of the knee. However, this is not due to something physically interfering with the movement of that knee. This is called a pseudo-lock. Hence you may need X-rays and MRIs of the knee to find the exact cause.Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.