Bashed knee on a rock

I was out rock climbing about 10 days ago and to I lost my hold and fell about 12 inches and caught my knee cap right on the corner of a rock.  I only fell a foot or so, but the rock hit almost directly in the center of my patella.  I immediately walked it off and thought nothing of it.  I hit it pretty hard, but I didn't think I hit it hard enough to really do any serious damage.  (I have no history of knee issues and weight about 165lbs.)

I had about an hour drive home and when I tried to get out of my car, I couldn't walk.  I couldn't walk for the first 2 days and gradually it seems to be getting better, however I still have pain when I bend my knee all the way or put pressure on my knee when my leg is bent (i.e. an activity like walking up or down stairs).  My knee cap is still a little swollen and has minor bruising.

I don't think I did any soft tissue damage, because I didn't hit it anywhere there would be ligaments /tendons connecting to my patella.  I've been getting nervouse, because snowboarding season is right around the corner and I need my knees to be tip-top ; )

I guess my questions are, does it sound like I just bruised my knee?  Is this time period of healing normal, especially since I haven't been giving it the rest it needs ( I've been walking quite a bit) ?  At what point should I consider going to the doc if it doesn't feel better?

Thanks in advance for your comments.
Seth