Orthopedics Community
Bicep Tenotomy Repair

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Bicep Tenotomy Repair

I am a 52 year old male.  On 6-15-09 I had RC Surgery.  On my post-op visit I was informed by an intern, the surgeon performed a biceps Tenotomy that I was not aware of prior to surgery.  I am very distressed over this since as I am physically active and do manual labor and was not given a choice in the matter.  It is deformed and cramps when contracting.  Can I still have a Tenodesis performed to fix bicep?  How long do I have before unrepairable?  Please respond ASAP.  I see the Dr. next week.  I want to be informed this trip because I am running out of time.  Thank you.
Did anyone ever respond to you regarding what to do next?  My dad is 61 and had the same exact thing happen to him and we are now in the process of trying to sort things out and how to repair what was done in surgery.  He was never told they would be performing a tenotomy and is now is alot of pain and is deformed.  Any help or answers you recieved would be helpful.  thanks and I hope you are least doing better.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

Tenotomy is not any surgical resection of your biceps tendon it is only that the tendon is slipped out of the joint. But as there is chance of the tendon getting struck and with other complications you can go for tenodesis after consultation with your surgeon.  Biceps tenodesis can be performed arthroscopically without difficulty. The tendon is sutured to the bone outside the joint after tenotomy and part of the tendon can be removed. After the surgery the pressure of the biceps attachment is taken off the cartilage rim of the shoulder socket so the complications get corrected.

Take care!
I was wondering what your decision was after your biceps tenotomy. The same happened to me - I was not at all informed about the results of tenotomy before surgery. I went in for repair to supersprinatus and subscapularis tendons on April 20 and came out with a popeye biiceps muscle after a tenonomy. I am 49, was an international gymnast and still extremely physically active. Totally depressed by all this. Did you have the repair done and how was recovery?
I also had a biceps tenotomy and I was not informed of it,,,,,, Im  into muscle development and am depressed about it too,, I wish it was repaired,,so I could have a normal looking arm,, can anyone of you guys email me to discuss this issue,, at ***@****,,,, I need feed back and not always checking this site ,,,,, also Im 46 ys old, I  worked out all my life and now I look like I never picked up a weight.
I am 65 and iam on 3 bowling leagues and I play pickle ball 2 times a week. how strength am I going to lose in my arm?