Orthopedics Community
Big Toe Joint Implant failed

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Big Toe Joint Implant failed

I had a big toe joint implant 7 years ago, which created no movement and more pain than the arthritis.  A year later another doctor told me that the implant was too big, so he put a smaller one in.  This created some movement, but he had to shorten the toe because of bone loss, and my toe met the ground differently.  I wasn't very happy with it, but it did last 6 years.  Now I am having major problems because the implant is breaking away from the bone, the big toe is lifting off the ground, and the rest of my foot is in pain because it is taking most of my weight.  The other toes are turning inward under the raised big toe.  I just got 4 opinions and they all say joint fusion.  They want to take bone from my hip.  I am terrified to do anything else.  I would greatly appreciate any advice you can give me.  None of the doctors have much experience with this.  Is there anyone who specializes in such things?  I can't be the only one.  
0%
 (0) 
Joint fusion advice
0%
 (0) 
Bone grafting from hip advice
0 Members voted