Orthopedics Community
Bilat hand pain now elbows EMGs neg Help!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Hello- Iam a dental hygienist.age 39.  I have had bilateral hand pain and numbness that started almost 10 yrs ago! I just had my 4th EMG today for carpel tunnel testing. The prior one was maybe 4 yrs ago. ALL were normal. I went through many tests and specialists including neurologists, orthopedist, hand surgeon, had cortisone injects, many differnet oral meds, complete blood work ups and another just recently, MRI of hands and cervical area that was 4-5 yrs ago, x rays hands and elbows. So as you can imagine it's frustrating and I can only work p/t due to the pain. The numbness actually sets in more at night and does wake me up. I did also try wrist splints which made  the numbness unbearable.
Last year bilateral elbow pain started and still continues so that concerns me as well and makes it harder for me to manage.
When I have my 3 days off in a row or if I have a vacation from work it will subside but never entirely goes away. Iam at a complete loss and if anyone can offer advice. Where do I go from here? I can't bear to think that my occupation is ruining my quality of life. I enjoy my job but I'm in so much pain. Please help!
Avatar_dr_m_tn
The most common reason would be spine related. We advice you a latest MRI and follow up near a neurologist.

Wear proper footwear, proper position while sleeping, sitting, working, driving so that ergonomically it is correct and there is no pressure on your spine.

We advice you not to lose hope and go for diagnosis, as without it it will be difficult to treat your problem.

Take care!
Dear Dr. Vinod- Thank you. I did ask the Dr. who said my EMG was normal yesterday if he recommends an MRI and his answer was what for? Sometimes I feel these doctors think I'm making this all up and it's frustrating. Should the entire spine be looked at or just the cervical area? Please advise and thank you for your help here!
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Ask for further course of advice to your Orthopaedician and what he thinks about your back?
If possible go for an X-ray at least and ask for entire spine examination. ( For your upper limb problems it would be cervical and part of thoracic required)
Take care!