Orthopedics Community
Bipartite Patella Surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Bipartite Patella Surgery

HI!!!,
   I am 14 yr old Track and Cross Country Runner. I was diagnosed with Bipartite Patella about 4 weeks ago. I went to four weeks of therapy and it has done nothing I am going to have to get surgery to remove the piece of knee cap. I was just wondering how long it takes to heal from this. How long will I be laid up? How many weeks of therapy am I going to have to go through after the surgery? Will I have to miss much school? Will I be able to run this fall??????

Thanks,
        Cody Graening
Hi Dear,

Bipartite patella occurs when the patella, or kneecap, occurs as two separate bones. Instead of fusing together in early childhood, the patella remains separated. A bipartite patella is usually not a problem; it occurs in at least 1 percent of the population.

In the few patients who develop persistent symptoms as a result of their bipartite patella, there are surgical treatment options. The surgery usually consists of removing the smaller fragment of bone or detaching the muscle that inserts on the smaller piece of bone.
Healing and recovery depends whether it done through the open method or the arthroscopic technique. Consult your surgeon for the options and the best choice for management

Best
hello i was also diagnosed with bipartite petela and just got surgery  and i got a big swelling and i am not able toben my knee the way my docter said so. what should i do  in order to bend my leg please pray and give me advice.                                                                         thanks and god bless
hello i was also diagnosed with bipartite petela and just got surgery and i got a big swelling  and i am not able to bend my knee the way my docter said so. what should i do in order to bend my my leg please pray and give me advice                                                        thanks and god bless