Orthopedics Community
Bone Fragment removal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Bone Fragment removal

My daughter, several years ago, recieved a buckle fracture in her wrist, causing a bone fragment to be torn away and is now "floating". She has had recurrent pain in the wrist from this and the plan was that once she stopped growing, the bone would be removed. Surgery was done last year to remove the fragment. After he surgery she had her usual follow up, the MD told us the bone was very small and he was suprised she had any pain from it at all.  All seemed well until well after the healing time of 8 weeks when she continued to have pain, especially after over using the wrist (volleyball, cartwheels) She complained alot so I took her back in. The surgeon had since retired so she was seen by the PA in that office. Thinking she may have injured it again a repeat xray was done. That's when we found out the same one fragment was still there- Identical to the previous xray. The PA called the MD on the phone to ask what to do and she was refered to another hand surgeon. We saw him and his take was that he could remove it or some people just live with it. We left...Months later my daughter can't "live with it". She takes a lot of Motrin and complains alot. I want the bone removed which I will have done because I have to.
I have 2 questions:
1. Is it unusual for this surgery to be done and the Doctor to miss the bone fragment that is seen on xray? Would it be a reasonable assumption that the surgery would be effective in removing the right bone piece?
2. Would it be reasonable to ask the first Surgeon to pay the deductible amounts that my insurance doesn't cover? I feel I paid for the first surgery and that the service I paid for was not done. Although I have insurance, the deductibles will add up to $1000-1500 since the Surgeon, Hospital, Anesthesiologist all atre subject to their own deductibles as with the first surgery.

I am not mad, I realize "things happen" but also feel I paid for the surgery once and get upset thinking I need to pay all over again.