Orthopedics Community
Bone Island, foot pain,

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Bone Island, foot pain,

I am a clutz! My husband and I were talking about how clumsy I am when I walked of the front porch wrong turning both ankles and busting up my knees. I was alright enough that I unloaded a moving truck, went to the park, kept all my daily activities. Two days ago I had a nagging pain in my right foot where my  big toe meets my foot that circles around to the back of the joint down my arch and up the top to my ankle and up my calf to the back of my knee. Yesterday it worsened when I was unable to walk at all. I thought I might have broke it so I went to the er. The doctor was extremely rude. He told me after one xray view that it was a bone island I had it all my life and I just need to take some aspirin and I'd be fine. After 24 minutes "walking" back to my car, I went home, soaked it in hot water, took some aleve and tried to go to bed. Today the pain is excruciating. The swelling is even worse and my other four toes are starting to go "to sleep" pins and needle feeling in them. I dont know what to do but this is not something  I ever felt before and I cant properly care of my boys if I cant walk. My husband is carrying me around the house, but other than that Im confined to the couch. Someone please HELP!
Tags: foot pain, bone island, cant walk, help please
Hi there!

With otherwise normal x-rays, fractures or structural defects are ruled out and likely possibilities include inflammations, soft tissue injuries, joint arthritis etc. I would suggest resting the foot for a few days and avoiding movements or pressure on the joint. You could use a crepe bandage for the purpose. Ice-packs or tylenol/ OTC NSAIDS may be helpful for pain relief. If these measures do not seen to help in a week or two, I would suggest seeing an orthopedician to consider other possibilities and for appropriate management.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!