Orthopedics Community
Bone lesion

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Bone lesion

4502237?1243382384
Long story short setting up my pool I hurt my left ring finger/ hand. I guess what would be the 3rd knuckle? the one on your actual hand.

I wait overnight the pain increases so I go to teh ER on Sat. I had swelling and bruising so i figured I might have broke it. They do an xray and find a "bone lesion" on that EXACT spot I had JUST hurt. The ER Dr. then tells me this lesion is 110% unrealted to the accidnet with my pool. It would not be the source of my pain but And that I need to see a specialist.

So today I did just that. And he told me pretty much teh same thing. It's a "cartillage balloon". It was NOT caused by the accident. He then buddy taped my fingers and told me if it stil causes me pain he can drill a hole in that bone and "fill it"?! Will this surgery work? one something that's not supposed to be hurting as IS?

I'm having a hard time believing that I crush my hand against 2700 gallons of water and that that exact time a lesion that never gave me any issues decides to start hurting when I had two doctors telling me the lesion "should not hurt." and my pain is from a "sprain."

No mri was done. Just xrays. Follow up in two weeks. Sprains don't hurt like this. Sprains don't send shooting awful pain from your fingertip to your wrist.

I can't help but feel something is being missed?

I'm looking for any imput here. Im desperate for an answer.  Here is a copy of my xray.  the lesion is clear.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Your injury in the pool surely is causing you this pain, you do not have a fracture but you have inflammation in the finger where you had this cartilage balloon. The Orthopaedican's job is to diagnose and treat you and he has done it perfectly. X-ray is sufficient to confirm your case and you should be happy that it is detected due to the pain in the ring finger which occured during the accident in the pool. They both are unrelated but the pain is related to your pool injury. Take anti inflammatory drugs and take the course of action what you think is the best after the advice of the Orthopaedician. Take care!
Thank you!  Two doctors and this is the clearest answer I have recieved.

Surgery would be about stabalizing the bone to prevent farther injry.  Something to think about.