Bone spur after knee replacement surgery
My husband, age 72, had a left total knee replacement.  Since that time, he has developed a bone spur on the outside of the knee replacement device - and the spur irritates the tendons in his knee.  He has a dull pain in his leg all the time.  The surgeon had never seen a spur like this after surgery and indicated any further surgery would be worse than the first; otherwise, live with the pain.  After surgery, my husband took Tramadol - but, to get off the drugs, had changed to taking 2 Aleve, twice a day.  He recently changed to two Motrin, twice a day.  What can he do about the constant pain - the pain in his left is beginning to affect the way he walks on the right leg - causing more pain.  We need some help.
Hello!

Your husband should try physiotherapy and try to decrease the pain after knee replacement, as this is essential.

For chronic intense pain he can take low dose naltrexone but he should find the solution for his primary problem.

Come to a proper diagnosis about the bone spur or of  any worn out plastic or cement that may potentially migrate into the bone and cause localized damage to the bone. This condition may also result in the need for a total knee revision. That is another reason to have a yearly x-ray evaluation.

If this pain is intense then for future complications he should consider fusion etc.

Try conservatively, take second opinion and if nothing works take proper decisions like surgical revisions.

Take care!