Orthopedics Community
Bone spur on top of my foot

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Bone spur on top of my foot

I had ankle arthroscopic surgery on April 8, 2008 and a Brostrum repair.  For several months in the spring and summer 2009, I was beginning to have pain in my ankle.

I saw my ankle surgeon a couple of weeks ago and I had just found out that I have a bone spur on the top of my right foot (the same foot and ankle that I had surgery on in April 2008). He told me to do some ankle exercises to relieve some of the pain. He didn't do anything with the bone spur yet. I go see him again October 15. My question is: Will the ankle exercises help the bone spur disappear or will I need to get surgery to remove the bone spur?

What if I don't get surgery on it for a while, does the bone spur go away on its own? Is surgery the only option or is there anything else that can be done for it? I still have pain and the bone spur has been there for a while.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.
Cassie
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

A bone spur forms as the body tries to repair itself by building extra bone. It generally forms in response to pressure, rubbing, or stress that continues over a long period of time.

Bone spur is just extra bone. It’s usually smooth, but it can cause wear and tear or pain if it presses or rubs on other bones or soft tissues such as ligaments, tendons, or nerves.

Treatment directed at symptoms could include rest, ice, stretching, and non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as ibuprofen.

If a bone spur is in your foot, changing footwear or adding padding or a shoe insert such as a heel cup or orthotic may help.

A podiatrist (foot doctor) may be consulted if corns and calluses become a bigger problem. Bone spurs can be surgically removed or treated as a final option.

Take care!
Thank you for replying.  Can the bone spur go away by exercising my foot or does it have to be surgically removed?

Cassie