Orthopedics Community
Boney bump on the outer side of my knee cap
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Boney bump on the outer side of my knee cap

I have a hard boney bump on the outer side of my left knee cap. I only started to notice the bump after I've increased my running miles. The bump has only recently started to give me pain while I'm active. It is not painful to touch, but it hurts really bad when I climb stairs or bend my knee.  What could be the problem?
Related Discussions
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Hello!

It is normal to have a small elevation of the bone (tibial tuberosity) at that location and this can become more prominent with exercise and running.

I would suggest you to go for an X-ray to rule out any injuries to your bones in the knee area.

Osteochondroma or exostosis occurs commonly in the long bones around the major joints like the knee.

Take NSAIDs intermittently and apply ice packs and follow up with an orthopedician.

Take care!
Blank
Thank you for your fast reply!

I think the boney bump is on my lateral patella and not on my tibial tuberosity.
Blank
Hello!

Tibial tuberosity is the roughened protuberance on the anterior surface of the tibia located just distal to the condyles. It is the attachment site of the patellar ligament, which represents the insertion of the quadriceps femoris tendon.

Rest and take NSAIDs and apply ice packs on the lateral patellar area and if it does not work out get yourself examined.

Take care!
Blank
Hi there,

The bump is definitely not on my tibia, it's either on the femur or on the patella.

Take care!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Orthopedics Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank