Orthopedics Community
Broke Tibia and Fibula
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Broke Tibia and Fibula

Three and a half years ago, just before I turned 17 I broke both bones in my lower leg about 4 inches above my ankle. Both bones were clean straight breaks. I broke them while ATVing, my foot got in front of the footpeg, then my foot hit a small hard snowdrift and my leg broke against the footpeg. I got a rod in my Tibia because the doctors couldn't get it set otherwise. It was 3 months after I broke my leg that I had one of the upper screw removed so that my bone could compress and heal more. I was still on cruches at that time. I was on cruches for 2 weeks after that and in a walking cast for 2 1/2 months after that.  My leg has continuously given me problems since I broke it. I have had an almost constant pain in my knee (I never had problems before). Also, where I broke my leg has obviously healed some, (it actually visably bulges on the sides and front of my leg) (I have yet to have the rod removed) but my leg offen gets very sore where I broke it when it is hummid, cold, I lift something really really heavy, I run more than 1/2 mile, I trip or slip on something, or if I land on my left (broke) leg.  I am in good shape 10% body fat, and I live an active life. If anyone can give me advise it would be greatly apreciated.