Broken 5th Metatarsal
For some background information I am, employed as a firefighter and keep my self fit. Last week I fractured my 5th Metatarsal of my left foot after jumping up and landing awkwardly. I was initially told by doctors in A&E that it is a serious break and would probably require surgery. An appointment was made for four days later to go to the fracture clinic where I saw a consultant who barely looked at my x-rays and asked me know questions on how it felt and just told me to return in 4 weeks and that I can put a little bit of weight on it. A new cast was put on which I feel is not fitted correctly as my little toe is starting to feel numb. I took a photo of my x-ray using my phone and it is below. Can anyone advise if this kind break should be operated on and also if I need to find another doctor to give me a second opinion. I have broken a few bones before playing rugby so am used to the healing feeling but this does feel different. I also need to make a full recovery from this as my job requires a good all round level of fitness.

Any help greatly appreciated
Hi there!

While a surgery would not typically be required, non-weight bearing for 4-8 weeks would be advised for adequate healing. Recent numbness could indicate nerve pressure/ compression and if this does not resolve in a few days, I would suggest a review with your treating doctor to check for bone alignment. Meanwhile I would suggest rest and non-weight bearing. Ice-packs and tylenol/ NSAIDS may be helpful for pain relief.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!