Orthopedics Community
Broken 5th Metatarsal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Broken 5th Metatarsal

8309206?1347045120
For some background information I am, employed as a firefighter and keep my self fit. Last week I fractured my 5th Metatarsal of my left foot after jumping up and landing awkwardly. I was initially told by doctors in A&E that it is a serious break and would probably require surgery. An appointment was made for four days later to go to the fracture clinic where I saw a consultant who barely looked at my x-rays and asked me know questions on how it felt and just told me to return in 4 weeks and that I can put a little bit of weight on it. A new cast was put on which I feel is not fitted correctly as my little toe is starting to feel numb. I took a photo of my x-ray using my phone and it is below. Can anyone advise if this kind break should be operated on and also if I need to find another doctor to give me a second opinion. I have broken a few bones before playing rugby so am used to the healing feeling but this does feel different. I also need to make a full recovery from this as my job requires a good all round level of fitness.

Any help greatly appreciated
Hi there!

While a surgery would not typically be required, non-weight bearing for 4-8 weeks would be advised for adequate healing. Recent numbness could indicate nerve pressure/ compression and if this does not resolve in a few days, I would suggest a review with your treating doctor to check for bone alignment. Meanwhile I would suggest rest and non-weight bearing. Ice-packs and tylenol/ NSAIDS may be helpful for pain relief.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!