Broken 5th metacarpal
About 3 weeks ago, I punched someone and broke the 5th metacarpal in my right hand, at its base, right above the wrist bone.  It is angulated and there is a large bump on the top-rigth side of my hand.  I was told by one orthopedic surgeon that I needed a pin because it was angulated.  I was then told by another orthopedic surgeon that I did not need a pin because the angulation was under 40 degrees. I realize that each doctor will have their own opinion.  What I am unsure of is which doctor to trust.  I am right handed and don't want to lose mobility or range of motion.  How well do these types of fractures heal without reduction?
Hello!

Conservative treatment is sufficient in most cases. It consists of immobilization of the hand in a light dorsal slab for 3 weeks. A minimal displacement is acceptable, but in cases with severe displacement or angulations, reduction is necessary. This is achieved in most cases by closed reduction in some particularly those with multiple metacarpal fractures internal fixation may be required.

Take care!
While icing my broken 5th metacarpal last night i developed a large swollen bump right about where it's broke. Is it common in  the course of healing to have localized swelling? It's as if the bones have moved?

Hello!

When you immobilize your joint or displaced or fractured area slowly the inflammation subsides and when you start some activity then again it is normal during the course of rehab that it will swell.

Before confirming anything I would suggest you to get yourself examined near your treating orthopedician if the swelling continues to stay after couple of days with ice packs and anti inflammatory drugs.

Take care!