Orthopedics Community
Broken Clavicle

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Broken Clavicle

What is the standard of care for a broken clavicle?
Hi.
It will depend on how severe the fracture is and what structures are compromised. The clavicle is not weight bearing, but if the fracture risks injury to nerves and blood vessels that run underneath it – the damage of a sharp fracture edge can render an arm useless.  
If there is an open wound, you will need antibiotics and chances are an operation may also be needed. This is best managed in the emergency room. The open nature of the injury risks infection which may be both life and limb threatening.
Simple closed fractures may be managed with a sling to limit movement to allow it to heal.
Its best you see a doctor. He will need to assess if the fracture is favorable (more likely will heal correctly with minimal intervention- and in this case may only advise a sling) or unfavorable (healing may still proceed, but there would likely be functional disability of the arm/shoulder).
How are old are you and how did all this happen? Is there injury in any other part of body? Are your cervical vertebrae being involved? When were you diagnosed to have Broken Clavicle?
The clavicle serves as the primary bony connection between the thorax and upper limb. A fracture of the clavicle also is known as broken collarbone.
What type of fracture is it? Which part is involved? Where is the line of fracture placed?
The treatment options depend upon the type of fracture, associated injuries and are whole clavicle involvement or partial.
Most of the patients are given initial conservative management.
Analgesics and sling immobilization. Physical therapy needs to be started for early range of motion of the shoulder (Codman exercise). Most of these injuries can be managed non-operatively. Most clavicle fractures do not require reduction maneuvers. Immobilization for 1 week in a sling and then gentle ROM of the shoulder are treatments of choice for most of these fractures.
What has doctored planned management for you? Did he discuss regarding surgery? You seem to be upset over the line of management from your doctor.
Thank you for your comments.  The patient with the broken clavicle also had non-survivable brain trauma injuries.  That was it.  A broken clavicle and a mashed up brain.  He survived 8 days, conscious, but that collarbone was a nasty bruise.   I was just curious about this.  He had both shoulders replaced several years prior and was an excellent ortho patient !
Hi Chuckswoman,
How are you? What is your name?
What were the brain injuries and how did he suffer that?
You told he has already had few surgeries on shoulder joint, why was it so?
What was the cause of death mentioned?
I was just curious to know about that patient?
Anyways God bless that soul in heaven.
Keep me informed and any other queries about your health in general.
My 16 year old son broke his collar bone a week ago.  It is a complete (but not complicated) break of the mid clavicle.  At the moment, he is imobilising the arm, by wearing a sling.  Can anyone tell me how long he will need to wear the sling, when is it ok for him to start exercising the arm/shoulder and how long he should refrain from contact sports?
I broke my left clavicle a little over a week ago. It is broken completely through. Does anyone know how long it will take to heal? I am a 24 yr old male in good shape and am supposed to go into the military 10 weeks from now. Is that too short of a time frame or what do you think? Thanks for your help.
...