Orthopedics Community
Broken Cuboid Bone

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Broken Cuboid Bone

46 y/o with partial fracture of right cuboid bone.  I have high arches, good bone density and no previous broken bones.  I think I twisted my right foot playing basketball in early December and had moderate pain which gradually got better. I was sprinting down the basketball court in early January after which my foot really hurt and I needed bed rest and ice. I limped for a couple of weeks with mild inflammation and a persistant bruise on the top of foot. I went to my family dr on 1/15/13 for an X-ray which they said was negative. The radiologist confirmed no broken bones. I called a couple of weeks later complaining of continued pain and bruising and they suggested I go to a podiatrist.

I saw a podiatrist on 2/11/13 and they showed me that I have a partial fracture of my cuboid bone. This showed up on the 1/15/13 X-rays my family dr took as plain as day!  The bone is broken about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way across the bone.  The podiatrist thinks that maybe I had a stress fracture in early December which broke through in early January when I was sprinting in basketball.  They put me in a cam walker for 4 weeks and then they will re X-ray to see how it has progressed.

I have walked on it for a month plus including continuing to play some moderate level basketball, bowling (which really hurt the foot) and taking several 2+ mile hikes. I often walk barefoot as well or in my dansko clogs. The cam walker is uncomfortable to say the least and is disturbing my hips and back.  I wear the boot all the time except to sleep and drive. I do drive my kids to and from school every day.

The podiatry appt is very short and I have many questions as I have never broken anything before.

Here are my questions:
1.  How much should I rest and or reduce my mobility?  I have already walked (and more) for over a month on it.
2.  Would Dansko clogs work as well as the cam boot?
3.  What type of recovery can I expect after removing the cam boot?  My family and I are going to Disneyland on March 24th. Will I likely be well enough to walk around the park?  This is almost always 3-4 miles of walking per day at least.  
4.  Do other drs usually miss fracures on X-rays that are so obvious?  
Hi!
Well, usually cam boots are given to ease your pain while walking. Normally you should not play around using these boots. Any foot fracture takes about 4-6 weeks to heal. During this time you can walk around on a cam boot but usually the activities are restricted to just walking around on normal pace. Dansko clogs are less likely to be helpful. Also, it is advisable not to walk around barefoot. By 24th March you would have completed about 8 weeks, so bone should have healed. However, please ask your doctor regarding this. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.