Orthopedics Community
Broken Pinky and 5th Metacarpal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Broken Pinky and 5th Metacarpal

I broke my pinky and 5th metacarpal on July 29th of last year in a motorcycle incident in which I got t-boned by a distracted driver. I had x-rays done a couple hours later and they showed that my finger hadn't just been broken, but shattered. I had surgery on August 2nd in which the hand specialist had trouble using k-wires to line up the fragments in a good position. He settled on "good enough". the wires were in for approximately 6 weeks. upon removal I started physio 3 times a week. I've had multiple casts, splints, stretching exercises, and so forth. Almost 6 months later and the range of motion just doesn't seem to be improving. I work as an automotive tech so you can understand the need for the use of my hands. will I ever have full use of my hand again? Would another surgical procedure be beneficial to me? Or is it time to look for a new career? I'm very athletic and can't participate in any of the sports I enjoy (hockey, basketball, football) It just doesn't seem to be improving and I don't know what to do at this point