Broken Ribs Still Not United After 8 Months
I broke 6 ribs on my left side in a fall 8 months ago. The X rays showed trauma but didn't pick up the breaks at the time. I rested and took copious amounts of prescription codeine for weeks and weeks. I had another X ray later and it finally showed several breaks at the time. The next X ray showed that things were starting to heal. That was 5 months ago. Finally I had enough. My ribs were killing I found it a little hard to breath and I always feel full after a few bites of food, as if someone has shoved a football under my ribs. I finally asked for a CT scan last week and the results showed more of the real story. Apparently ribs 3,4,5,6,7,8 had broken but 7 and 8 still are not yet united. I am seeing my doctor on Monday for more pearls of wisdom but it worries me that this situation is so ongoing after 8 months. I do not have osteoporosis. Any ideas? Thank you in advance to anyone that may be able to shed some light on my situation
Hello Dear,
The treatment for fractured ribs includes rest and the use of ice for pain and swelling,.Over-the-counter pain medications, including acetaminophen  and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen  help relieve discomfort.. If the pain is severe, injections around the nerves that supply the ribs ,nerve blocks can be used. Compression wraps for broken ribs  are not used as prevent taking deep breaths, which can increase the risk of lung infections like pneumonia.
Broken ribs usually heal completely in about one to two months. You should consult an orthopedic physician as soon as possible a sit a long time now and the treatment should be done as soon as possible.
Refer http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/broken-ribs/DS00939 for more details.
Best