Orthopedics Community
Broken Ribs Still Not United After 8 Months
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Broken Ribs Still Not United After 8 Months

I broke 6 ribs on my left side in a fall 8 months ago. The X rays showed trauma but didn't pick up the breaks at the time. I rested and took copious amounts of prescription codeine for weeks and weeks. I had another X ray later and it finally showed several breaks at the time. The next X ray showed that things were starting to heal. That was 5 months ago. Finally I had enough. My ribs were killing I found it a little hard to breath and I always feel full after a few bites of food, as if someone has shoved a football under my ribs. I finally asked for a CT scan last week and the results showed more of the real story. Apparently ribs 3,4,5,6,7,8 had broken but 7 and 8 still are not yet united. I am seeing my doctor on Monday for more pearls of wisdom but it worries me that this situation is so ongoing after 8 months. I do not have osteoporosis. Any ideas? Thank you in advance to anyone that may be able to shed some light on my situation