Orthopedics Community
Broken Sacrum

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Broken Sacrum

Hi- I fell on ice while getting out of my car about 4 weeks ago and broke my sacrum. The E.R said, thankfully,  that it was not displaced. I was perscribed muscle relaxers, pain killers, motrin 800, stool softeners, a dougnut and a cane. They told me 2 weeks of "bed rest" and 2 weeks of rest (walking a little but taking it easy) I am still in so much pain. I have seen my primary care doctor but she just tells me all this pain is "normal". I have not had a regular bowel ,movement in over 3 weeks. I have diahrea and even that hurts so much I cry. I am having shooting pains in my right leg. I can only stand for so llong w/out pain, and I can only sit o the doughnut for so long w/out pain. When I got my period it was hell. I felt pain moving from my sacrum to my front, was throwing up and miserable. lately, at night I get sick to my stomach and dry heave(which makes the back pain worse) and feel completly nausious. I can only sleep for 2 hours conscecutivly due to pain and discomfort. I have tried swiching to different pain killers and muscle relaxers but I am still feeling all of this. Any Ideas, thoughts? I am seei.ng a orthopidic on Friday. Help!
Avatar_dr_m_tn
hello kelly1519,
it's really sad to know about your present condition.Undisplaced sacrum fracture heals very well by conservative management. However the main problem lies in the fact that since it's located near the buttock region, it can be a real painful experience.
I am surprised that you were not told about seitz bath (take a big tub where you have to pour in luke warm water and mix a pinch of potassium permanganate powder in it so that it's colour changes.Nw sit inside it with your buttocks fully immersed in that water for about 10-15 min , 2-3 times per day). This should had been started by 3 weeks of treatment. It will give you a lot of relief.
Stool softeners are a must till the fracture is completely healed off.You should also consult your orthopaedician, and if required, should take a check X-ray to see how much healing has happened.
Hope you get well soon and keep me posted about your latest condition.
regards
abhijeet
I found out to day from an Orthopaedic surgeon I have a disintegrated sacrum. Like no sacrum at all. He had never seen or heard of this before. He is going to take bone marrow and bone pieces out of femur and try to rebuild it. Has anyone had or heard of a similar case. Thank You  Amy