Orthopedics Community
Broken clavicle - surgery or no surgery?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

I broke my clavicle three days ago. The doctor at the ER said that a surgery is definitely an option but not a medical necessity. He kept this vague line as he explained some more details but he wouldn't give a buttom line suggestion.
I read everything I could find online about this kind of injury and the potential operation but i'm still at a loss.
I would very much appriciate any advice or opinion regarding my situation.
Here are my x-rays:
http://img67.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img2pg9.jpg
http://img146.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img3sr7.jpg

I should also mention that there's a very notable bulge where the bone pushes outwards.
And that i'm in pain...  :)

Thank you very much in advance!
J.
My son broke his clavicle and there was also a large bulge, it healed on it's own and you can't see a bulge any more.  He had his arm in a sling and this thing that pulled his shoulders back and it healed really well.  Are you wearing a sling?  This seems to take the pressure off the clavicle as it heals.

Good luck and I hope you are pain free and healed soon!
My friends son had the same injury and the orthopedic surgeon recommended that he roll a towel up lengthwise for him since he was 7 y/o and place under that side of the spine while sleeping on his back. He healed without any deformities. No surgery was needed. Best wishes and I hope that the dr gave you pain meds and you are icing the area.
I broke my clavicle two years ago and there was a bulge for about 6 months after the bone healed.  It gradually reduces though. It is only calcified bone to protect the bone from being rebroken easily after it has just healed.  The pain you are feeling may be the muscles reacting to how they have to move around the bone and are not used to it.  I reccomend seeing a chiropractor and getting adjustments when needed.  It helped me a lot.
i recently broke my clavicle snowboarding and had the surgery to fix it into place, for my injury if left untreated would heal with deformity and limited range of movement. the procedure was done in 4 hours,  Six screws and one titanium plate.  this all happened over my winter break.  Saturday i broke it snowboarding, went to er and got xrays and a sling. wednesday i had an appointment with a ostepedic who suggested surgery was the best choice.  thursday i went in for surgery and today friday im good as new. do not need sling only thing left behind is the stitches which will dissolve in two weeks.  The scar is barely noticable and i was told a little neosporin will prevent a scar from staying. i highly recommend surgery.
I broke and chipped off parts of the bone by falling down 12 cement steps.  I went in for surgery since it could not heal on its own.  What kind of break is the main question.  I have had two surgeries, one to place the plate and seven screws. The second to take out the plate and screws.  I am still dealing with nonunion issue.  Still undere Drs. care.  It all depends on your break.  Take care and wish you well.
Can anyone please provide good orth/neuro for clavicle surgery in Vancouver\Portland area?

Today is Monday,I have been having problem schedule for a doctor this week in Vancouver and I need good reference so I can take care this ASAP to go back to work and enjoy the Summer..  

Cheers,

jm
I broke my collarbone 11 days ago riding my bike. It took me 5 days just to go to the doctor and get xrayed, because I wasn't in that much pain. Plus I went back to work in 2 days after the accident, and other then stiffness and being a little sore. I was fine.Oh I forgot to mention I'm a hair stylist, so I was lifting it every which way. The only reason I did go to the doctor, was because I have the bone sticking out of the top of my shoulder, obviously not though the skin:) It was definately broke and plus they said I need surgery! I was like what!!! Everyday I'm stronger and can totally lift my arm, and continue to work. I don't know what to do. If I was having more difficulty and pain I would be more apt to have it. The break is on the end close to the a/c joint. Any advise on what I should do, would be much appreciated.
I broke me clavicle falling off the top of my horse on May 31st.  I am still not healed. I fell right smack on my shoulder. I am 52  and not sure if it's my age or if I tried to do to much to soon.    I'm a mother of two young girls and live on a mini-ranch so it is hard to sit and do nothing.  My Doctor has me on a EXOGEN a " Ulrasound Bone Healing" (luckily my insurance paid for it, it cost is $2K).   I just hook my self up 20 minutes a day, very easy to use,  Is suppose to increase bone growth by 40%.  I feel no difference after two weeks still experinece pain and only have abut 40% total movement.  I go in again for Xrays tomorrow.  
Wish me luck, I do not want surgery!
Dear All,

I am 36 and completely fractured my right clavicle less than 48 hours ago

Have seen ortho surgeon and they have suggested surgery as I have a 3 month old shoulder fracture/dislocation and they seem to think I can be back at physio 2-3 weeks after surgery

My concerns are the possible risks of nerve damage and infection

Has anyone had surgery (titanium) plate with positive results and good outcomes/recovery ?

Your experiences would've appreciated

hey i am probably gonna do surgery.dr is wanting me to wait,my next appt isnt til may 25th.i broke clavicle in 3 places,kind of in middle.they said w/ a multiple break you need surgery.would u care to go into more detail like pain-wise,is it painful and for how long?any info greatly appreciated-thx-wendy
I recently got knocked off my pushbike by a van that didnt stop,after hitting my head hard & nearly blacking out i realized my collar bone was sticking up through my shoulder although not breaking the skin.3 surgeons at a & e were unsure wether to send me for an op or not & finally decided not to!(must say wish i had had theop ,the pain is excrutiating).I'm told to go back in 3 mths for a check up unless the bone protudes meantime in which case ring 999 instant & get to hospital forthe op!!Doesn't leave much confidence in the original diagnosis!Meanwhile i am to suffer in silence (not),cant see a bone that is broken in 2 places & the centre twisted upwards healing in any correct manner!!
Hi there, I have had a broken collar bone for six yes 6 years now. I have had 6 operations for it with obviously not good results. I have had pins, 2 plates, a bone graft taken from my leg, my fibula bone. That did not work either, its been a nightmare with pain also. Anyway I saw my dr the other day and I may be getting the whole collar bone removed. I have a very large scar that is ugly and everyone looks at or sometimes just straight out ask me oh my god what happened to you. I also have a very big bulge where the bone is sticking up
I broke my collarbone in Sept orf 2012. I broke it in 3 places, broke 5 ribs in 9 places and had a small puncture in my lung. This was from a fall onto the back of my shoulder off my horse.  
I went to the er and was admitted for the night.
The 1 fracture to my collarbone was displaced by an inch and there was a splinter fragment aprox 2 cm long as well.
I was sent home in a sling with pain meds.
I spent 3 1/2 months in constant pain before they consitered it a non union and gave me a plate and 7 screws
instant relief, although I now have to contend with frozen shoulder. I have a good physiotherapist and see him 2ce a week, he expects I will be back at work this coming June ( 9 months out of work). If you are looking for good information about broken clavacles check out this below, it is very informative.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkrWR3v4qDg&feature=youtu.be
I've broken my collar bone 4 times now, last one about 4 hours ago. The last three times have been fine and I haven't needed surgery, this may have been because I am still young (17). I'm waiting a week to see if I need surgery this time, I hope I don't but I'm glad to see some positive things being said about it.

Wish me luck
I have clavicle fracture since July 04 2013. Dr ask me to use sling for 3 weeks. I have about 1 cm displaced. After 4 month he prescribed ultrasound stimulator. I am using since 1 month and had x ray. No differance. dr. recommended surgery. I donot have pain just sight bump and i can feel broken bone. I can do all normal activity and functions also some weight. Do i realy need surgery? any one with broken clavicle with no heal and no surgery, your comment highly appriciated.