Orthopedics Community
Broken clavicle: timeframe for healing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Broken clavicle: timeframe for healing

I am going in the army in the middle of February and just broke my left clavicle ten days ago. It is completely broken around the middle of the clavicle. I am a 24 yr old male in very good shape, but do smoke. What is the average time frame for an injury like this to heal enough to perform strenuous physical activity (ie Basic Training)?
Also, if anyone knows the benefits of surgery compared to no surgery please let me know. The doctor said the clavicle is slightly displaced but should heal without surgery. I'm just trying to do whatever would make it heal quicker.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello

It will heal completely in 2 months if it is a clean break and it is for your information that fractures of clavicle unite readily even if displaced, hence reduction of the fragment is not essential.

A triangular sling is sufficient in most cases. Active shoulder exercises should be started as soon as the initial severe pain subsides, usually 10-14 days after the injury.

A figure of 8 bandages may be applied to you if it is a displaced fracture.

Rarely open reduction and internal fixation is required which you are referring to as surgery.

Follow up with your orthopedician.

Take care!
I broke my left clavicle 5 days ago by falling off a bicycle. Break is about two inches (2in) from the scapula. Was given a figure-of-eight brace/splint.

I've been experiencing significant swelling in my arm for 3 days. From my shoulder down.

Yesterday, I began elevating my arm from the elbow down, and noticed the swelling in my hand decreased dramatically. However, my elbow remains very swollen.

The swelling in my arm is localized from three inches (3in) above my ebow to four inches (4in) above my wrist.

It is slightly numb. I have been minimizing movement, as to aid in healing, so I don't know how much movement is limited. However, it is very tense to the point of hurting when I fully extend my arm.

Thanks!
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

You can take NSAIDs and after a week or two can start physical therapy. With the bandage and post injury with the position of your arm you will have stiffness, pain and inflammation.

If the symptoms continue beyond a week see your orthopedician.

Take care!