Broken heel bone and talus
Hoping for input. I fell off a ladder about 4 weeks ago about 10 feet. From what my orthopaedic said, I have numerous breaks in my heel and talus bones, but nothing that surgery can do to help me. My swelling is almost as bad as it was from day 1, he keeps telling me this normal. He said I'll be on crutches for 3-4 months and luckily I have a boot and not a cast. Is all this normal? Everyone I've talked to seems it's kind of odd with extent of the injury there is no surgery required ( not that I'm complaining)  and a removable boot (not complaining about that either)
     How are you? The talus is one of the important bones that makes up the ankle joint.   Patients who have a talus fracture have significant ankle pain, difficulty bearing weight on the ankle, and swelling around the ankle joint. If the fracture is not out of position, a simple cast may be sufficient for treatment. If the fracture is out of position, then surgery may be recommended to realign the broken bones, and stabilize them with screws or pins.

The calcaneus is the bone in the back of the foot, commonly referred to as the heel bone. Calcaneus fractures are almost always the result of high-energy injuries. They usually occur as a result of a fall from a height, such as falling from a ladder.  It causes severe heel pain, swelling, bruising and inability to walk. If the calcaneus fracture is not out of position, a cast will be recommended. Non-operative treatment is also recommended in patients who have poor circulation or diabetes. If it is out of position then surgery is considered.

Swelling after any injury, if it is minimal swelling subsides with in a period of 2-3 weeks, but in your case it is not so. I would suggest that you take a second opinion of a orthopaedician regarding the decision of surgery.
In case if a severely displaced fracture is not treated at the appropriate time, permanent disability can occur.
Best.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    
Hello.  I fractured my calcaneous in December...on a kayaking trip.  I jumped (and fell) off of a boulder.  It was not displaced, but not diagnosed either.  It was fractured in 3 pieces.  When it was diagnosed 8 weeks later, the ortho indicated that I was fortunate, in that, I did get appropriate treatment.  I was immobilized for 1 week, cast for 3 weeks.  3 weeks later, back in a boot for 3-4 weeks.  I had been prescribed P.T. right after being removed from cast, however could not weight bear, anyway, as was too painful.  I have a slight joint involvement.  My calcaneous is slightly flattened, but not grossly so.  I can walk and I am now in P.T. 2-3 times a week.  Every part of my body has hurt at one time or the other.  I am trying to get the flexibility back to my foot, but I still experience swelling.  My foot is fatter, but as long as I have the possiblity of being mobile, I'm much happier.  I am very active, so this is very difficult.  I'm wondering how long one might expect recovery from this type of injury???  My doctor indicated possibly a year.  Is that accurate?  Any suggestions to promote flexibility to promote stair climbing???  Funny I know but I have 3 flights of stairs to my house.  thanks.
L
L