Orthopedics Community
Broken heel

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Broken heel

I broke my heel about 3-1/2 months ago.  Did not require surgery since it was only broken in two places and not displaced.  Had the cast on for 3 weeks and stayed off of it for about 5 weeks.  My question is.  The bone is obviously healed by now, just wonder what was the damage that causes the continuing pain and stiffness in joint.  The most pain is when trying to move the foot side to side or walking on uneven surfaces.  Any enlightenment would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, hope you have recovered fully from the fracture. you should get an repeat x-ray to see the healing of fracture segments, nerve compression can give you the continued pain. so meet your orthopedician for a review.
hi,
Hoping you should have recovered by now clinically. But your post suggests still some problem with the condition. Staying off for 5 weeks period would initially make you feel cumbersome while walking. You should also have been trying to keep your feet out of ground.
Kindly do start massage the heel and started walking normally or as advised by your ortho surgeon. Use MCR CHAPPALS
on a slightly different matter landed on my foot and my heel hurts like hell but only when i bear weight on it.
my question is whether or not it is broken or just bruising of the surrounding tissue and fibers?
i am traveling at the moment and have not got any money to check it out and of course work is difficult to come by so if i do have to fix the problem i need to know that it is actually broken.
the pain is situated only on the outer side of the heel and mildly near the centre of the heel. general motion of the foot is not empeeded and swelling is minimal, the ankle is not sore and have had no fevers just a little bruising has appeared just above the heel on the right side. any information you could throw my way would be a god send in my current situation or if you could forward this info to anyone who could shine some light on my injury. thank you.
Dominic
How are you feeling?
I think your pain could be due to fracture, inter-digital (Morton’s) neuroma, tarsal tunnel syndrome, hallux valgus, hallux rigidus, retrocalcaneal or calcaneal bursitis, sesamoiditis, and plantar fasciitis.
Your symptoms of pain at the bottom of the foot, you may have a stress fracture, tarsal tunnel syndrome, plantar fasciitis, calcaneal bursitis, or retrocalcaneal bursitis.
How and when did your pain begin?
What is the quality of your pain (e.g., sharp, dull, aching, burning, electric)?
What makes the pain better or worse? Are you able to bear weight?
I think you should be doing X-rays, including standing antero-posterior (AP) and lateral views, should be obtained to rule out fracture.
Keep me informed if you have any queries.
Bye.
I broke my heel 8 months ago. The dr said that I broke it where i didnt need surgery but if i did have surgery it probably wouldnt help. I work on my feet 5-6 days a week and about 8-10 hrs a day. I am constantly in pain after work.  should I go to another specialist ?