Orthopedics Community
Broken pinky finger recovery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Broken pinky finger recovery

I broke my fifth metacarpal (40 degree angulation) over 3 weeks ago and a week ago the spint was taken off and I was allowed to "use it but not overuse it."  Well, I have not used it much, just to write and type, etc.  And I have noticed that it is extremely hard to raise my pinky finger off the table, and once I get it off about a mm, I feel a sharp pain.  Is there a way I can fix this pain, or some expercised that I can use to strengthen my finger?  I also have terrible grip now.
Hi there!

This is a common issue after weeks of splinting and occurs due to muscle/ tendon stiffness after disuse. This should gradually improve in a few weeks. Gentle massage, passive graded movement and physiotherapy may be helpful meanwhile to regain strength and movement. You may like to consult a physiotherapist for the same.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Hey doc i have a similar problem only mine was a few years ago. My operative finding showed that i had an irreducible left 5th proximal phalanx fracture in june 2007. I had two screws put in it, one of which was too long and ended up going through the bone.(i could feel the tip of the screw on the inside of the finger.) Few months later i had to have them removed because of the pain that was caused, especially in cold weather. Anyway the problem i'm having is now i have intense pain in the second knuckle that recently has started causing a shooting pain up my arm. This pain has gotten worse, especially in my elbow it feels like i'm getting stabbed in the elbow. Any thoughts?