Orthopedics Community
Broken wrist healing time?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Broken wrist healing time?

Well I'm 15 and i broke my wrist last friday cuz my friend knocked me off my bike. I went to the hospital and they put it back in place and put a splint on it. I asked how long it would take to heal and he said 6 weeks. I been drinking 5-6 glasses of milk, eating tons of fruits and veggies, fish and grilled chicken, and whole wheat bread. I have pretty much eliminated sugar cuz i heard it slows healing time. but if i continue on this diet, is there a possibility that it will heal in 5 weeks or maybe even 4?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
There is nothing like sugar restriction will heal your wound!

You should have carbohydrates for instant energy and as you are a teenager you need carbohydrates for day to day activities like going to school etc.

You major portion of the meal should be proteins and that you are already consuming. The fruits and vegetables would provide enough vitamins and minerals.

To give a one liner " Have balanced diet with protein being the major portion"

The healing would depend on the fracture reduction which was done and the splint done which should not be disturbed and age in on your side so you havev a chance of healing a little faster.
Take care!
I broken my wrist in december. I had 3 K-wires inserted and was in a cast for nearly 6 weeks. I now have tha cast removed, and has surgery to have the k wires removed.  I will be starting physio next week - my question is how long before I can return to work, I am left handed and its my left wrist I broke. I wok in the food & beverage department in a hotel so I will be using my wrist constantly.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

The more effort you put in your physical exercise and physiotherapy the faster you will recover. It can take couple of months if you follow all protocols properly before joining full time work. But before that go for a check X-ray and confirm your healing and proceed ahead.

Take care!