Orthopedics Community
Broken wrist

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Broken wrist

I fell backwards on 8/14/07.  I landed on by backside but somehow my left hand landed behind me and I ended up with a "broke wrist" according to the ER doc. They put a half cast on.  I went to the orthopedic doc on 8/17/07.  He did another x-ray he cut down the half cast to just a "splint brace" (?) for the underside of my wrist & wrapped it with an ace bandage.  I go back in 3 weeks for x-rays.

Of course no on explains or shows you what is going on with the x-rays.  So I looked at the ER report & it said something about a vertical fracture (that makes sense) something about the Dorsal/Distal Radius & slight displacement & fragments?  Huh?  I'm at a loss here.  I don't have the report anymore.  So I don't know.

He told me I could take the wrap off to take a bath & not to use my wrist/hand too much.  Okay.  It hurt bad the first couple of days & got better.  A lot of the swelling went down & the bruising is starting to get better.  I still have a huge "puffy, soft mass" on the top of my hand.  That doesn't hurt.  The problem is that the outside of wrist is killing me.  I don't know if I've done something (that I'm not aware of) to hurt it.  

He told me I didn't have to wear the sling anymore but if I move my arm at all it sends pain straight to the opposite side of the break (fracture).  Should I be concerned or is this normal with "healing"?

I don't want to be a burden & call my doc for something silly.  I was kind of suprised that he didn't put a cast on it.  Is 3/4 weeks normal for fractures?
Tags: fracture