Orthopedics Community
Bruise/Pain in heel/arch after fall

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Bruise/Pain in heel/arch after fall

The situation:
Three days ago I experienced a fall (about 8 ft) onto flat concrete on one foot in sandals. No bruising or swelling occurred in the first 24 hours but walking was virtually impossible due to the pain.  After 3 days the pain has subsided significantly, I have virtually full range of my ankle and toes, however walking is still difficult and there is slight bruising on the arch of my foot.  At rest there is no pain, and when I press on the bruised area or my heel very hard, I can feel pain but it stops with the pressure.  Walking is still only possible with the use of a crutch.  I have been icing and elevating the foot consistently.  I would like to avoid a trip to the doctor due to financial reasons.  I understand that for any injury, it is always recommended to see a doctor, which I will do if problem persists.

My questions:
1.  Does this seem indicative of a fracture or a bruise considering there is virtually no swelling?
2.  Is it common for bruises to impair walking to this extent?
3.  If I'm assuming its merely a bruised arch/heel, after how many days should I expect to be walking without a crutch?

Any insight is greatly appreciated.  Thank you for your time!