Orthopedics Community
Bruise on top of foot

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Bruise on top of foot

I dropped a glass pie dish on my right foot in Oct 2007, I recently noticed that I'm still bruised in the same area and there's pain upon touching the area. Is this something serious that I need to get checked out?
Avatar dr m tn

Hello!

I would suggest you to go for an X-ray and check if there is any problem with the talus bone which is present on top of the arch of your foot. As there is very little soft tissue to protect the top of the foot, bone injuries are common. The second, third and fourth Metatarsals are the most commonly injured bones due to something falling on your foot. Without any fracture you would need physiotherapy and anti inflammatory medications to decrease the pain and inflammation. I would also suggest you to wear proper footwear.

Take care!

Avatar n tn
Thank you!