Orthopedics Community
Bruised Bone

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Bruised Bone

My 8 year old son hurt his ankle three weeks ago in a soccer game, after two sets of xrays showing no fractures or obvious growth plate concerns, his orthopedic doctor ordered an MRI.  He was diagnosed with a mild bone contusion or bruise.  The mri showed no issue with ligaments or tendons and confirmed no fractures or growth plate concerns.  He has been in an immobilizing walking brace for two weeks now, going on three.....How long does something like this typically take to heal up in a child? There is minor swelling on the outside of the ankle bone and minor tenderness currently.  Thanks for any help or advice
Hi there:

I had 2 bones bruised in my foot an ankle. The Talus and Cuboid bones it was moderate to severe. I'm 38 so I heal a slower than an 8 year old would. I had x-rays that were negative as well I walked on it with an air cast and the issue was worse with pretty bad swelling also. I went back again and had an MRI ordered and that is where the bruising was found. My Os treated it like a stress fracture. 2 hard casts later and non weight bearing for 7+ week. I'm 10 months past the injury and I still feel it from time to time. Bone bruiasing take a long time to heal. But my guess is your little guy will come around faster. Good luck and I feel his pain!!!
Hi. I knocked my ankle really hard of a wooding bed. Over a week now. It was very painfull and have been since. I cant put much weight on it but have been limping about it and limited movenment in it. I had a x ray and the doctor told me its really badly bruise. The thing is how long does it take 2 be able 2 walk normal on it again and do the Pain travel it 2 your hamstring. Im thinking of trying 2 get another X-ray but not sure. If anyone one can advice me on it