Orthopedics Community
Bruised acl

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Bruised acl

My boyfriend was playing football a few week ago and we was hit hard during play and complained of knee pains.  He went to the doctor and they said he had a bruised acl and there was nothing that could really be done. Is that really true is there nothing that can be done, and if so how long does it take to heal, and will his leg ever be the same so he can be athletically active again?
   Thanks for writing in.While ACL injury is uncommon in the general population, athletes,especially young women who play basketball, soccer or volleyball are susceptible. Treatment of an ACL injury can get you back to your sport, but the best defense is a strong offense. The ACL may tear, either partially or completely, as a result of a hard twist, sudden stop while running, jump landing or direct blow to the knee. You may experience a loud, painful pop when the ligament is first injured, followed by swelling of the knee. The pain and swelling of an ACL injury can last for several weeks. Short-term treatment can relieve the pain and inflammation, but it takes months for an ACL injury to heal completely.

Initial treatment for an ACL injury aims to reduce pain and swelling in the knee, regain normal joint movement and strengthen the muscles around the knee. You and your doctor will then decide if you should have surgery plus rehabilitation or intense rehabilitation alone. Which option is right for you depends on several factors, including the extent of damage to your knee and your willingness to modify your activities.Short term treatment includes ice packs, rest, elevation, physiotherapy.
Take a second opinion in this regard.
Take care.
Over the past week, I have taken several hits to my right ACL whist playing soccer(through clashes and shot stops whilst goalkeeping). My leg was swollen so my mother/doctor told me to elevate it and wear my knee guard. My question is, how bad can such an injuy be and is it possible that it is torn, as there was no "popping" or bad landing but I am limping badly?
I had the same problem as yours and it happened about 5 weeks ago. I took MRI and the doctor found a "bruised ACL". And he said it takes months to get it over. If you just have a bruised ACL which is the lowest level of the ACL injury. Take my words, you won't have any problem at all. But but but don't every play any sport until you experience a complete heal on your knee.