Orthopedics Community
Bruised ribs

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Bruised ribs

Hello, I got a bruised rib (not broken) after a fight 11 days ago. I followed your advice and did not exercise for a full week and even longer as I have not exercised yet. I did not feel any pain whatsover the last 3 or 4 days. I am thinking of starting lifting weights and running on the treadmill in 2 or 3 days. Can you please tell me which exercises I should be more cautious of. I assume resistance training for the legs for example would not have any effect on my ribs. Would I have to be more careful with lifting weights for the back or chest? Which muscle groups I have to be more careful with? Is running on the treadmill OK? And what about kickboxing on a punching bag?

Many thanks for all your help and for the answer to my previous question.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

Start with walking and increasing the intensity and speed. You can try jogging and running and if there are no symptoms in couple of days start treadmill. You can continue treadmill.

With a bruised rib avoid lifting of weight for 3-4 weeks even if healing is complete because as the injury is fresh you may damage the just formed soft tissue.

You should be more careful with all your muscles of your chest and avoid any exercise which will give pressure on your chest wall.

Take care!