Orthopedics Community
Bump on hand

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Bump on hand

I have a lump, "hard , non movable" on my hand it is between first didgit nd middle finger on the area closest to first knuckle on middle finger, I am guessing its a cyst of some sort . It is becoming increasingly painful, no trauma was preceding this.

I am just recovering from an anterior cervical discectomy w grafting and fusion and cant handle toughts of another surgery, Do you think this could be dealt with at a urgent care clinic? I had a cyst removed 15 years or so ago from oppisite hand at a clinic.
what ever this is its rock hard, and deffinatley does notmove its in the complete shape of a circle , can feel it from both anterior and posterior of hand it feels like the size of a large pea.
Avatar_dr_m_tn

The most common reason would be a Hematoma from fracture, fracture callus formation, scar tissue, lymphadenopathy, finger injury or warts.
This might also be a tumor so it is good that you schedule a visit to your Orthopedician for a proper diagnosis.
Based on the diagnosis you can discuss if there are medical options for healing rather than surgery.

Take care!
Thank you dr, I know its not a wart, its not near surface deffinatly beneath the derma.

Hope theres a option other than surgery. seeing family dr today.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

I can understand your pain and anxiety for the diagnosis. Remember to diagnose your case perfectly and in some conditions you can delay the surgery till you are fit.

Take care and discuss all options with the Orthopedician.
Hi Dr I saw my family dr today he says hes alomost positive its a Gangleion cyst..I have been refered to a han surgeon. Should be a very smiple procedure.Ty so much for all of your help on here to me and others.

Cherie
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

A ganglion cyst is a swelling that often appears on or around joints and tendons in the hand. The size of the cyst increases with time.

If a ganglion cyst is symptomatic, it can be managed by aspiration or excision. Aspiration of the cyst is the simpler of the two procedures, but cysts recur in more than 50% of cases. With proper surgery, the recurrence rate is reduced.

I suggest you to try arthroscopy surgery. Arthroscopy of the wrist is becoming available as an alternative to open excision of ganglion cysts. During arthroscopy, the origin of the cyst can be seen within the joint.

Take care!
good morning Cherie, you family doctor is probably right, i had a Gangleion cyst that my hand and wrist doctor removed,you can also find out for sure by an MRI.  the doctor that responded to you is not a hand & wrist doctor so in my opinion he doesn't belong on this sort of site, maybe of a family doctor site for runny noses. Use a doctor that only deals with hand and wrists.               good luck  Phill
On my way to hand specialist right now will let you know how it goes ty.