Bunion Prevention
I have mild bunions on both feet, more pronounced on my right foot, and high arches.  The bunions don’t cause me pain yet (25 year old female).  My mother, her brother, and my grandmother all developed severe bunions that required surgery, so I predict mine will worsen to that point eventually even with good footwear (my uncle certainly wasn’t interested in pointy-toed heels).  I’m considering whether to go to a podiatrist.  However, based on my research:

- Bunion surgery is only recommended when bunions are painful or interfere with daily activity
- Orthotics aren’t proven to prevent or slow the development of bunions
- If a person does not elect to do surgery, the only recommendation will be to wear good shoes

I want to prevent my bunions from worsening, but I don’t foresee being able to take good enough care of my feet to do so when even my uncle who never wore restrictive shoes had such bad bunions.

It makes sense to me that if compression from shoes and stress encourage foot deformity that if I were able to wear something that would hold my feet/toes in the correct position they wouldn’t misalign.

Is it possible that a good, honest podiatrist would do anything for me but say, “wear good shoes?”   I’m thinking of one who wasn’t more likely to say there’s no solution to bunions except surgery and good shoes, because of his financial stake in bunion surgery.
Hi there!

Well, management of bunions would depend on the severity of the deformity and the symptomatic profile. While progress is often unpredictable, comfortable shoes and orthotic devices may help improve symptoms when mild-moderate, while surgery may be advised in severe cases. If there are no associated symptoms, specific management may not be required at this time.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Well we cannot stop if bunion keep growing back, all you can do is the prevention and  yes wearing proper shoes.