Orthopedics Community
Bunion

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Bunion

Hey,all!
Is it worth getting the bunion removed? I've read it might come back & the pain may get worse. My income depends on my feet, lol.
It depends on how much pain you are in now.  I worked for a well known foot/ankle orthopedic surgeon (not podiatrist) and we did bunionectomies all day.  As with any surgery, you can still have pain in your foot afterwards, but for the most part you should be okay.  Alot of the time, people have bunions, but no pain and want it corrected for appearance reasons.  I would suggest to you if your pain is high, you are on your feet all day and shoes are uncomfortable, it would be worth doing.
How involved if the surgery?  How long is the procedure and how long is the recovery period?
I had both of my feet done when I was 27, I'm now 44, best thing I ever did. I've heard of them coming back, especially if the surgeon only removes the bunion. A professor did mine and he not only removed the bunions, he also splintered (broke them so they ended in a point) both big toe bones and then dropped the big toe/splintered bone down lower along side the other section of splintered bone in such a way as to realign the toes so they were now straight. I lost a very small amount of length, which you can't notice and now both big toes are lovely and straight and not a bunion in sight. The length of the inside of the foot (along the side where the bunion was) is completely straight as well. This procedure is a permanent removal of bunions so they don't recur. I had both feet done at the same time - my hubby looked after me, thank God.
I don't remember how long the procedure was but the recovery period is like for any broken bone, 6-8 weeks. I was young and eager to get out of the plaster and into some beautiful shoes! ;) You can't even see the scars unless you point them out.
Do I need a bunion removed if I don't feel much pain.  My concern is if I don't remove it, will it get worst?