Orthopedics Community
C1-C2 vertebrae fracture

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

C1-C2 vertebrae fracture

7672835?1328938782
I fractured my neck 2.5 years ago. I was wrestling and had my neck pulled back on before I could strain my neck muscles. I heard it crack 3 times and then hours later I couldn't move my neck. I went to the doctors and they took X-Rays. They didn't find anything wrong. A year later still with pain I got an MRI and CT Scan. I was told I had 9mm c1-c2 vertebrae fracture. They told me it was stable so no surgery needed. In the 2.5 years, I have most of my neck mobility back. Lately for the past 4-5 months, I have chronic pain below my right shoulder blade radiating towards my lats. I can crack it in the area which will release some of the pain but come back within a few minutes. I also have pain on the sides of my neck and sometimes in the pivot neck joints. I can tilt my head to the right and turn it where I will hear a cracking sound. It sounds like it is coming in the left pivot neck joint. I have uploaded a picture for reference. Someone please tell me whats causing my chronic pain and that cricking sound in my pivot joint? Also what I may do or who I should see to relieve the pain? Thank you.
Hi there!

The images added are not clear (too small) to make out a specific injury, though loss of normal curvature of the cervical spine is clearly visible. Well, without detailed images or a clinical evaluation it would be difficult to comment specifically on the situation or the cause of your symptoms. Possibilities that may need to be considered include fracture non-union/ displacement, inflammation, muscle spasm, nerve compression/ pressure etc. It would be best to consult a neurologist or an orthopedician at this time for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management. Meanwhile I would suggest avoiding extreme movements around the neck. Warm compresses and/ or OTC NSAIDS may be used for pain relief.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!