Orthopedics Community
COMMINUTED PATELLA FRACTURE

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

COMMINUTED PATELLA FRACTURE

Dear Doctor, Yesterday evening around about 5pm, my mummy had above fracture. We consulted a local orthopedic, after seeing the X-Ray he confirmed the same i.e there is comminuted patella fracture and surgery is required.He also told us that if possible he will try to tie the fractured patella with some thread or he will remove the same.My question if the patella is removed she(my mummy) will be able to walk as normal or will there be any problem in near future without patella?. Secondly within how much period the operation should be done? what if it is postponed for 3 to 4 days later.?
Waiting for your valuable answer.
Thanks & Regards. SAI.
Hi there!

The operation can be postponed by a few days though it is advised to schedule it early before the inflammation gets worse and for better healing. Also it’s only a part of the patella that would be removed, if required; while a major portion would be fixed with wires. If the healing and the recovery is good, she may not face any problems. She may require taking physiotherapy a few weeks after the procedure. You may discuss the possibilities in detail with your orthopedician.
Hope this was useful.

Take care!
Hi there!

Hope this was useful.

Take care!