Orthopedics Community
Can ACL, PCL, Medial & Lateral Meniscus Problems be solved non-surg...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Can ACL, PCL, Medial & Lateral Meniscus Problems be solved non-surgically?

I twisted my knee in 2004 and all the doctors said was that it was ok and just needed some rest. Had it in a plaster for 3-6 weeks and then slowly started walking again. From then till now, I did continue with sports as I am athletic and also its the only way one can get away from the stress of daily life here, however I have twisted my knee on several occasions. The last time being sometime in Oct 2010. I then insisted for an MRI which was finally performed on my right knee in Jan 2011 and here are the results:

Findings:
~Bone: traumatic bony contusion with greenstick fracture noted in upper 1/3 of the right tibia.
~ACL: Partial tear in the right ACL noted
~PCL: Mild buckling of the PCL noted
~Lateral Meniscus: Grade 1 tear in the anterior horn of the Lateral Meniscus and grade 2 tear in the posterior horn of the Lateral Meniscus noted
~Medial Meniscus: Grade 1 tear in the anterior horn of the Medial Meniscus and grade 2 tear in the posterior horn of the Medial Meniscus noted
~No significant joint effusion
~REST: NAD.

The above is only for the right knee but I am pretty sure that the left knee is equally as bad if not worse.
I would really appreciate it if someone could get back to me on this and tell me exactly:
1) How bad this injury is (Since its been there since 2004)?
2) How can it be cured if any??? I would prefer non-surgical methods as I have kinda lost faith in doctors in this part of the world.
3) Can I continue with sports such as cricket, cycling and swimming if I wear knee braces/supports? If yes then which kind of knee braces/support? (because I usually tend to injure my knee with the elastic knee supports more often than without it).
4) Would Yoga, magnet therapy or any kind of therapy help heal the knee joint?

Thanks in anticipation...
Wow, your knee is not a happy one!  Nonsurgical methods are not going to work for you.  It's probably only a matter of time, considering how athletic you are, that you completely tear the ACL.  Therapy will not heal these injuries.  However, therapy to strengthen your quads and hamstrings will be beneficial in supporting the ACL to possibly prevent further injury.  The meniscal tears require surgical intervention.  An good Orthopaedic Surgeon is what you need right now!!!  Best of luck!
Haha... Not a happy one for sure... I'm following some occupational therapy for my quads like cycling on an exercise bike and also normal bike as I always do! I remember someone saying reiki would help when i'd 1st got this problem but I just wanted to confirm that before actually spending money on it and finding out later that it isn't gonna do much!
Reiki will do NOTHING for what you have going on...or for anything else, in my opinion, of course!
I just found this article which seems to be of some help as well as give hope to those who have the same or somewhat similar problem...

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2006-03/chb-gat032706.php

Kinda good to know such things and with a contact provided on top, should help other people wondering what can be done to repair a damaged ACL...

I'd also like to add this link from Reiki.org about how reiki kinda healed someone's ligament. However, whether the story is true of not cannot just be verified by reading it!

http://www.reiki.org/reikistories/reikistories.html#Ligament

Cheers
Akshaye
You can also go for Ingham therapy (which has evolved in Korea) which is a non-surgical method.
This will definitly benefit you to some extent.
It can also make your knee completely healthy depending upon the injury.
You should meet some doctor who is expert in this area.