Can Lumbar Foraminal Stenosis Cause Constipation?
I recently had a MRI and am awaiting a call for a referral appt with an ortho specialist.

It was found that I have lumbar foraminal narrowing (stenosis). Also an herniation at L4-5 (which is something I've had before along with DDD and Arthritis).

My most concerning symptom which I suspected was due to stenosis is pain when I stand or walk for more than a few minutes, esp. on hard surfaces. The pain is usually only in my back (but not always) and gets quite severe and is relieved upon sitting or bending.

I've had this symptom beginning at age 19 and in the past year it has suddenly worsened. I'm now 43 (and as thin as then - weight is not an issue).

My question is the following: Recently I've developed constipation. It's been going on for days. Yesterday I was frustrated and while seated there I bent and put my head in my hands, upon which I was able to relieve myself.

I wondered about this....and this morning I had the constipation and I again bent myself over at the waist while seated, and once again I immediately was able to relieve myself.

Could this be due to the foraminal narrowing? Nerve compression? I can't find anything anywhere on the net which discusses this. If so, is this an emergency?

Thank you in advance for your reply.