Can a pilonidal cyst exist NOT visible from the outside? Tailbone pain.
I have some medical background (am a physiologist by training) and though don't pretend to be clinically savvy I see that this one of causes of coccydynia (tailbone pain) is a pilonidal  cyst.
My chiropractor says (a) that the pain I have is  is apparently NOT from the condition HE typically sees (mechanical dislocation to the front of the coccyx) and (b) he localized the pain to seem to be between the second and third coccyx vertebra .
I have no external indications of a cyst, so my question is, do you know if it's possible to have _that_ condition without it being externally manifest?

Second, frankly, the one possibility I'm most concerned about is (though I understand this to be very rare) would be the possibility of  a tumor. I understand that this does not normally show on X-ray and it would take an MRI
or computer tomography to spot such a possibility. Do you have any comment, or any suggestions on how I or another physician can rule out that possibility?

Based on what I told you what other possibilities would you suggest investigating, if any? What tests/diagnostics?

My husband had a cyst just recently on his tail bone. He has had them on several occasion the last but recent one began on Monday not by tuesday he could not sit and every way he moved it was painful. he went to see the surgeon to at least drain it so he would get some relief, however the Md stated that it was not in the same area as the last one. This particular cyst was at the very tip of his coccyx bone. No redness no swelling just the pain which meant that there was not anything to drain and that cyst was deep. Usually after a week, they are swollen enough that they can be lanced and drained. So we schedule surgery and did the whole removal of tissue in that area. It was 98% success rate that it wont return there...