Orthopedics Community
Can a pilonidal cyst exist NOT visible from the outside? Tailbone pain...
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Can a pilonidal cyst exist NOT visible from the outside? Tailbone pain.

I have some medical background (am a physiologist by training) and though don't pretend to be clinically savvy I see that this one of causes of coccydynia (tailbone pain) is a pilonidal  cyst.
My chiropractor says (a) that the pain I have is  is apparently NOT from the condition HE typically sees (mechanical dislocation to the front of the coccyx) and (b) he localized the pain to seem to be between the second and third coccyx vertebra .
I have no external indications of a cyst, so my question is, do you know if it's possible to have _that_ condition without it being externally manifest?

Second, frankly, the one possibility I'm most concerned about is (though I understand this to be very rare) would be the possibility of  a tumor. I understand that this does not normally show on X-ray and it would take an MRI
or computer tomography to spot such a possibility. Do you have any comment, or any suggestions on how I or another physician can rule out that possibility?

Based on what I told you what other possibilities would you suggest investigating, if any? What tests/diagnostics?